Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Frozen wispy crystals of water sometimes

I found this beautiful imagery in a scientific philosophy/opinion article I was reading today. I am always so inspired and relieved when I see this kind of writing in a reputable science journal. I know the person has finally become a respected enough scientist so now they can sneak in a little loveliness into their papers. There is hope for me yet:

{...Frozen wispy crystals of water sometimes fall to earth in great numbers and we identify them as snowflakes. The ‘snowflake’ category exists in our minds, but in some sense it is also a feature of the world outside ourselves, a world that is disposed to repeatedly generate individual falling wispy crystals of water.}-Jody Hey, 2001, The Mind of the Species Problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment