Friday, August 10, 2007

Desiderata

A great friend of mine gave me a framed poem called Desiderata (It is Latin for “Things to be Desired.”) that I have always admired, it hangs in her home. There are many wonderful lines to this poem including Be Yourself, Take Kindly the Counsel of Others, Strive to Be Happy. But there is one small simple line that really speaks loudly to me lately, as soon as I read it I knew this was exactly what I needed.

The line reads “Beyond a Wholesome Discipline, Be Gentle With Yourself.” In case you have not noticed through the reading of this blog, I have a tendency to be viscously hard on myself and I always associated this with what makes greatness, pushing yourself to new limits, never being satisfied, etc.

But instead of taking myself so darn seriously and being my biggest critic, it is time for me to be gentle with myself. It feels good to even type it out.

Happy Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment