Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Laboratory Ending

Today is my last day as a laboratory technician. I am going to be a Graduate Student next week and whether or not that is a step up or a step down, depends on who you talk to. I know that in my case it is a step up, but I cannot help but be treacherously sad at the passing of my simple, quiet life as a lab tech. This post is an homage to all things lab techie.

Walking in in the morning when no one is there, the quiet relationship that you have with the small colorless tubes before you, that can grow into something greater. Watching small amounts of liquids of varying viscosities mix and enjoying it thoroughly. The endless cups of coffee that are drank, while standing around talking about science, or other random things. Being comfortable somewhere, like at home, where you have a favorite pen and a collection of assorted small plastic odds and ends in your bench drawer. When something really unexpected works, when something you have been working on forever finally works, when you figure out the problem, when you figure out a better way, when things stay organized, when people heartily enjoy learning something, when eyes light up, when the orchids flower, when people are hard working, when people are getting it, when progress is made.

I feel like I am leaving here having grown tremendously from the graphic designer I once was. My brain works in different ways now, doors are opened, things have been learned, I feel more capable than I even knew I was. Its been a wonderful opportunity for me. I get sad and sappy when things end as you can see, but what I mean to say is, I will miss it.

1 comment:

  1. While I know the last day there was quiet, I know that you left your mark there and set the standard for the next batch of students who will work there in the future. It's the end of an era and the beginning of a new one!

    ReplyDelete