Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Think Therefore I Am

There is not one correct way to write an essay, or cook a meal or knit a sweater. There are several correct ways. This limitless quality of creating or producing things can be exhilarating (I often felt this way about painting, because if feels like there are no rules), however it can also be overwhelming and lead to an unstructured mess that makes no sense, or tastes terrible or has three arms.

What I realized today is that, in school, when learning new things, people often want a pat answer and attempting to unearth the true ambiguity of a concept is unproductive and not what anyone wants to hear. What needs to be done is to learn what people think about things and learn to speak their language. I am feeling lately like I have thought about things to the point that deconstructs them into a meaningless mess, but I am thinking too much about the wrong things.

Sometimes you just have to accept a concept or a theory for what it is, learn the crap out of it and move on and even though the temptation for infinite questioning is standing over you and breathing down your neck, you must ignore it, especially if you want your PHD someday.

{for I saw that to know is a greater perfection than to doubt-Descartes}

No comments:

Post a Comment