Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reflection in a Glass Ornament

This is the first year in a long time that I dont have an office Christmas party to attend and I am finding myself missing this slightly awkward ritual and it just got me thinking about Christmas time in general.

“I really can’t stay”, winking white lights, sweaters with cozy collars, “Baby its cold outside”, telling the story of an ornament before you hang it, making exceptions, making the trip, they are going to love it, “well maybe just a half a drink more”, A Charlie Brown Christmas, helping in the kitchen, it was really good to see you.

The smell of evergreen embraces me as I walk down the sidewalk where they sell the cut trees in the city, we know they are dead now but somehow they still hold a little piece of some impossible hope. A hope that is unique in each one of us. A hope that burns out come January and is forgotten entirely by bleak February. Sometimes I think that Christmas in the city is unbearable, people shopping shopping shopping, dropping money all over the place for things that no one really needs.

But it is the mood that people get in to that is really so fantastic. For Christmas this year I want to take a little piece of Christmas spirit, the lightness and sweetness, and capture it in a paper coffee cup and sit it beside my bed and sip it slowly throughout the dry and leafless winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment