Monday, June 11, 2007

Song of Yourself

I came across this service that creates a “style statement” for you. So what they do is talk to you and ask you questions and then come up with a two-letter description of your style. This is meant to guide you in all of your life–designwise and otherwise. It helps you make choices that are more streamlined to your tastes.

Some examples are “Simple Bohemian”, “Enduring Bold”, “Natural Simplicity” etc.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate them on successfully starting a company that charges $500 for two simple words. That is truly amazing, whether you agree with what they are doing or not.

Secondly, I would like to dissect this, as per my usual:

It would seem to me that having yourself defined in such a way, by someone else, would limit you. Also is it not an implied requirement of life to define your own style for yourself? After all, it changes over time. Maybe a “Simple Bohemian” evolves into a “Rustic Sophisticate” over time? And this discomfort in not being sure of who you are, in relation to this paint color you are about to put on the wall, isnt that also manditory life experience?

A part of me loves this idea though; I really do, because I yearn for a definition of myself, but dont we all? Also, I love words like the ones used in these descriptions, they are mostly all adjectives I suppose. I love the blustery, bright, effectiveness of adjectives. Also, I relish distilling something down to two simple words; it is truly brilliant when it’s brilliant.

But did you ever read your own horoscope and think that it was perfect for you, only to read the one below it for Sagittarius, which you are not, and think that that suits you too? I watched the website scroll through all the style statements and I wanted more than one of these for myself.

I will end by quoting something that I have quoted before but need to bring it up again in this particular context.

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.” -Walt Whitman (from Song of Myself)

click on title above for link to the “style statement” service and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment