Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Beauty Parlor World

I know we have talked about this before, but I am happy to report that I think I finally may have found a hair salon and hair dresser that I like:

Close to my apartment, charming faux vintage decor, gay guy who told me I look like Audrey. The woman who cut my hair didnt speak to me and I was so so relieved, no awkward conversations, reasonably priced for NY, not too pretentious and While My Guitar Gently Weeps was playing as she snipped and snipped and snipped.

Which brings me to my next point. I was thinking about buying art for the walls of the apartment. But is it really necessary, I thought? I have major guilt about buying things that are not functional. You might imagine that I would be pro-art and design. Which I am, for the most part. But I am also developing an aversion to knick-nacks and I always think about moving day and how that little thing I bought would fit into a box. I also thought about the benefit of having nice plates, pots and utensils in the kitchen. I love to live with well designed things but then I tell myself I dont need them.

But when I was sitting and getting my hair done, it hit me.

People like to look at beautiful things, be it hair or a chair. And this is everyones pursuit in life, even the most ascetic person. Beauty is not an absolute, it shifts with our expectations of it. But for the most part we all want it in some form or another and to ease any guilt for the future I tell myself, its really okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment