Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Design Love

Last week I was out at dinner with someone who has recently taken up design after having worked in the lab. She told me about a project that she was working on, it sounded really interesting.

When I came home I wanted to make a list of reasons why I liked/like doing design. I didnt leave it because I hated it, but because I liked something else more. It will always be a part of me:

making lists of words to provoke inspiration on a topic.
getting fully immersed in a project, no longer knowing about the world outside.
ultra light fonts
one word in a great font sitting in the middle of a blank page-all quiet and lovely.
when all the text fits perfectly-or you make them think it does.
at its highest form-it can provoke action from people, to buy, to call, to get involved, to help.
making several versions of a logo or something-toiling away flipping and deleting, only to realize that your first try was the best.
when you impress yourself because of a happy accident.
getting the idea to end all ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I also like to think, you don't fully leave something for good. You're just taking a hiatus from it and accumulating other skills in the meantime so that the next time you come back to it, you have a new perspective on your old field.

    ReplyDelete