Tuesday, June 6, 2006

i want someone to eat cheese with

last night i walked by Rockefeller center and noticed that they were showing free independent films. i noticed that they were showing a film called "i want someone to eat cheese with" at 9, so i called my cheese eating partner promptly and he met me. I had never heard of this film before, but the title was so alluring.

the film began and i realized that the producer and writer was Jeff Garlin from Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry's best friend. He got up to say a few words and no one really laughed, i suspected the crowd was full of tourists who didnt really "get" his humor.

the film was really very good, starring Jeff Garlin and about a man who is lonely and wants to find a woman and who still lives with his mother and eats too much. There were a lot of great actors in it and the soundtrack was also great.

after it was over, i got this overwhelming urge to go and meet Jeff. I was starstruck. We marched up to him, he is a big big man. I had this strange feeling of being instantly comfortable with this guy because his movie was obviously him bearing his soul. He was in jeans and new balance sneakers and was alone, there was no wife there, no Larry. So I imagined that he was the character in the film and felt sorry for him, but also felt a strange sort of sad kinship with him, not that I am a single, overweight 39 year old man, but somehow I could relate.

I shook his hand and told him that the film was wonderful and that I liked the title and that it drew me in because I liked cheese! He said "yes the title is good, but it ends in a preposition"

Then we took a picture together, I was so nervous I was shaking.

On the bus trip home I was thinking how I should have said "yes it ends in a preposition, but its not a sentence, its a title, so its okay"

Then we googled him when we got home and found out he has a wife and kids so I didnt feel as bad anymore. I hope they eat a lot of rice pudding together (reference from the movie) and by the looks of him they do.

1 comment:

  1. OMG i totally wanted to see this when it was at Tribeca. I love that you met him! How perfec tis that!?

    ReplyDelete