Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Homing Earrings

I have these rectangular turquoise stud earrings that I wear often. I bought them about 9 years ago at my first college, somewhere in town but I dont exactly remember where.

There is something strange about these earrings, I can never lose them.

I have dropped them so many times in odd places where I expect them to be inhaled by their surroundings and never seen again. I have dropped them in a deep drawer full of clothes, on the floor in a large room, in bed, behind a desk, but they always turn up.

Maybe it is because they are brightly colored, but I have dropped so many other studs and I hear the clink of silver on one end of the room although they have launched themselves clear in the opposite direction. I am humiliated by their deftness, and they vanish.

These turquoise earrings remind me of my first college when I wear them although they suit me many times better than the college did.

Yesterday a man commented on them, "those are great earrings" and although I wanted to explain their magical powers as we were on line at the grocery store, I thought it would be better if I didnt, so I smiled and said "Thank You."

No comments:

Post a Comment