Thursday, July 20, 2006

Party of One

Joe and I were in a restaurant last night and I noticed three separate people who came in and sat and ate alone. They each had a magazine or a blackberry to keep them company.

Maybe they were relieved to be alone after a long day of work and dealing with difficult people, but I felt sort of bad for them and wanted to get them all together to sit and talk.

I am never really comfortable eating alone in a restaurant. If I have a magazine, I still end up flipping through but ignoring the words, because I am too conscious of my alone-ness.

1 comment:

  1. Eating alone is a natural pleasure. Conversation while eating is unjustified. Purely for time efficiency it mixes two activities which should be kept separate in order to be properly savored. Conversation may be accompanied only by mild intoxicants.

    ReplyDelete